Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

OCM: Oil Cleansing Method

The Oil Cleansing Method: (OCM)
If you know what the OCM is, skip this paragraph. If you're wondering what it is... it's the scariest thing that you'll think you've ever heard. Basically, it's cleaning your face with oil. .. Yes, cleansing your face with oil.
How and why this works is thoroughly explained on a forum I found at acne.org. >> here <<

The science behind this is sensible and the success stories are convincing. Think about it... There's nothing to sell here and no one to be affiliated with, so the stories must be true?!

Then there's other stories. People that get the courage to try it... Love it, rave about it... and BAM!  3-4 weeks into they're regimen they breakout.. and BAD. As in 'the-worst-breakout-they've-ever-had' bad.

So what's the deal?! I've read (and like to believe) that these people are not doing it correctly. They're either not using the correct oils or not rinsing the oils off their face well enough. If you've read others' post about OCM, you should know that Castor oil is crucial. The ratio to the other oils depends on your skin's needs. I know that it can take a lot of trial and error to find what suits your own skin. 

SO without further ado: I'm going to borrow a really good idea from a girl who tried this method and planned on documenting everything about it.
Her blog is >> here <<.

Oils I Plan on Using:
  • Castor Oil
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Jojoba Oil
  • Tea Tree Oil
*I've also purchased Thayer's Alcohol Free Witch Hazel to use as a toner/astringent after washing. (I've read forums (also at acne.org) of people raving about this stuff.) By applying this afterwards, it should remove any excess oil without stripping your skin of a healthy amount of oil. I really think this will avoid any horror story 2-4 weeks from now.


Ratio I plan on Using:
  • 50% Castor
  • 25% Jojoba
  • 25% Extra Virgin Olive
  • + few drops of Tea Tree
I think I will stick to straight EVOO for my eye makeup removal.

*There are reasons for each oil. Feel free to comment with questions!*


A lot of people that try this method have absolutely nothing to lose. They are desperate and willing to try just about anything.
Myself, on the hand, have practically no blemishes whatsoever. I've been using Proactiv for quite some time with great success...
So why the bleep am I giving that up?!

  1. The price. If the OCM works, I will no longer have to buy: The Cleanser, The Toner, The Repairing Lotion, The Refining Mask. Nor will I have to purchase a high-end moisturizer that doesn't break me out. This method claims to balance the moisture in your skin so well, that you won't need an extra product to moisturize.
  2. Aging/Wrinkles. The harsh chemicals in Proactive dry out your skin so much, which is most definitely not going to help my skin age beautifully. The chemicals make your skin more prone to sun damage which is the number one offender of premature aging. 
If you've been considering this method and are really scared... follow me and hopefully not only I will learn from this, but you can as well! 

Really scared=| Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment